Permit Information

Filming on location in Nebraska may require permits specific to the municipality or area you have chosen for filming.

The Nebraska Film Office does not issue permits, but your project may need the assistance of several different communities and state and federal departments that do.  A review of the departments below will be your first step.

Part of your application for filming at these managed sites and communities will be proof of insurance.  We encourage you to reach out as soon as possible in order for all involved to facilitate the permitting process in a timely manner.  
Please call the Film Office for assistance.  

Nebraska Film Registration

Registering your film project qualifies you for assistance in obtaining permits and incentives. The Nebraska Film Office is eager to assist you with your physical production needs in Nebraska with location information, crew information, community contacts and support.

Nebraska Department of Transportation (DOT)
The State of NEBRASKA has eight districts within the Department of Transportation. Take a look to learn about the district you have chosen to locate your project.  You will have to determine if you are in need of road closures or ITC (intermittent traffic control).  Checking in with the appropriate office is a must to obtain permission and support. There may also be a need to hire a flagging crew and consider lighting and barricade rental.

Nebraska Game and Parks (NGP)
Nebraska Game and Parks manages our state parks and public wildlife areas across the state.  They will help you with questions for filming in a particular area and provide information on the application process.
Special Occasion permit:

National Park Service (NPS)
The National Park Service manages a large variety of historic sites, trails, parks, and rivers across the state.
Special Use Permit:

US Forest Service (USFS)
The US Forest Service manages not only forests throughout the state, but such areas as the Oglala Grasslands near Crawford and Chadron.
Special Use Permit application:

Nebraska Department of Labor (NDL)
Nebraska Department of Labor manages permitting employment of children in the performing arts. Check out “Labor Law” on this site and click on Child Labor Issues to find the forms under “Performing Arts Permit.”  The department is very accommodating – don’t hesitate to call them if you have questions.